Sunday, October 17, 2010

Morocco in Crochet

For the last week or so I've been working on a fun project. It all started with the crochet Moroccan style shoes that I designed several months ago to be made into earrings.



Then, when some friends came over a couple of weeks ago to visit, the idea of using the shoes for dolls came up. That's when I had the idea to make dolls to go with the shoes...



But I didn't want to stop with just dolls. I wanted accessories! First the shoes needed to be slightly redesigned to fit over the feet. For the boy I made shoes in bright yellow, a traditional color for mens shoes. He also got two hats. One is a white skull style cap (traditionally made in crochet anyway) and the other is a straw hat, usually worn by men while working in the fields.



And for the girl, I made a purse with sequins to match her shoes.



Of course they also needed a tajine with some bread so they could have something to eat...



I also have a very colorful Moroccan rug in progress for them to sit on while they eat...



Oh the possibilities are endless with this! Now I want to make pillows, a sheep skin rug, an embroidered table cloth, and of course Jellabas for both girl and boy (maroon for the girl, white for the boy). Have any suggestions for other items I could make? Leave me a comment below.

I introduced this project to the girls last Tuesday and they absolutely loved it, especially the tajine! Fatima, the main crocheter of the group was in Rabat all last week, so I can't wait to see what she thinks of all this when I show her tomorrow.

Inspiration:


There are two or three cooperatives currently working with volunteers who make small dolls. I've always really liked the idea representing Moroccan culture in miniature, especially doll form because dolls are generally made for children and are a great way for young people to learn things, like about a different cultures for instance.


8 comments:

Nancy said...

Well, Emily you've outdone yourself as usual. The dolls are just too cute, and they are crafted well.
Can't wait to see the rest of the clothing and accessories. Reminds me of the dolls that Grandma and I used to do, also did stuffed animals, as you recall.
Even dolls that are made from cloth, with your crocheted accessories would be nice.

Mom

Emily and Jon said...

Thanks Mom! I was thinking that it would be nice to have the clothes be sewn instead of in crochet, but we'll see.

Lisa said...

Wow! I'm blown away :D It would be amazing to see what would've happened if you'd had another year there. Inshallah we'll be flooded with adorable Oulmes dolls with the initiate of your quick crocheting women!

Anonymous said...

I love these. I would totally buy these for my kids. Let me know when they are for sale.

Sally Cummings said...

The tagine is totally adorable!!

Emily and Jon said...

@ Sally,
Thanks! I wasn't totally satisfied with the tajine though so yesterday I remade it. Check back soon for more pictures of my little crocheted Moroccan world.

Hayley Perham said...

Wow Emily, i came across your site when i googled moroccan crochet. I am currently trying to restart using my crochet skills i learnt as a girl and as my husband is moroccan was looking for moroccan inspiration. Your patterns and work is amazing, so much skill.

Are you going to sell any of the patterns? make them available for others to make the products? maybe some of the proceeds could go to you and some to the co-operative?

Also my sister in law would love to learn how to crochet but i dont know how to teach her easily do you have any tips?

Emily Lindberg said...

hayley, Thank you for sharing! What part of Morocco is your husband from by the way?

As for teaching crochet to a Moroccan, well that depends on communication skills in both directions. Does she know English or do you know Darija (or Shilha if she speaks that)? Having a few basic words down in your chosen language is helpful, such as the different names for the stitches, "over," "under," "like this," "do this," "that is correct," "do like I am," etc. If you know how to read crochet diagrams you can get her to start understanding how to read those since they are symbol based rather than word based. The women that I worked with LOVED using the diagrams to teach themselves new patterns. Of course she will need to know the basics of crochet before making things from patterns.